Lulu

The Occasional Cavorting and Musings of a Female Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Monday, September 04, 2006

Dog Stereotyping


Reading is one of my most favorite pastimes, next to spying on Miss Kitty, and occasionally I might come across something I may wish to share with you... like now.

Here is a poem I find most disturbing:

My Dog Chewed Up My Homework
by Bruce Lansky

I'm glad to say my homework's done.
I finished it last night.
I've got it right here in this box.
It's not a pretty sight.
My dog chewed up my homework.
He slobbered on it, too.
So now my homework's ripped to shreds
and full of slimy goo.
It isn't much to look at,
but I brought it anyway.
I'm going to dump it on your desk
if I don't get an A.


Whoa, Bruce... I'd say you're barking up the wrong tree!

I’m not certain if Mr. Lansky is attempting at humor, but if you’re a dog, this poem is highly distasteful and grossly insulting. The very idea of the family pet as the scapegoat for the human child’s inability to commit is unprovoked and downright malicious. Moreover, I take great issue with the common dog here portrayed as a drooling, dim-witted creature whose only purpose in life is to satisfy an overactive oral fixation. Words like “slobber” and “goo” leave little room for the imagination to conjure anything else but an offensive stereotype.


I may write to Mr. Lansky via email and tell him of my concerns. Discrimination against dogs, humans, or otherwise, should NEVER be tolerated. We dogs need to nip these things in the bum, as they say, and that’s precisely where such narrow-mindedness dwells.

11 Comments:

  • At 2:49 PM, Blogger T-man said…

    Hooray!! It's about time that someone addressed this issue. Canine discrimination is highly disturbing. Brothers and sisters, we must unite!!
    T-man

     
  • At 5:01 PM, Blogger Buster the Wired Fox Terror said…

    I say the dog get the A and the kid be sent to his room with no supper!

    Bussie Kissies
    Buster

     
  • At 10:41 AM, Blogger fee said…

    yes, and to think they made it into a poem to read to their little two-legged humanlets!

    well, i'm glad WE have blogs and we too can retaliate with prose and poetry about their clumsy attempts at chasing after us when we make off with their dinner, and more! two legs beat four legs? no way!

    doggies of the world unite!

    loves,
    fee

     
  • At 1:36 PM, Blogger Tigersan said…

    "I say the dog get the A and the kid be sent to his room with no supper!"

    Just give the kid the homework to eay ;)

    Ok, now me just being mean ;)

     
  • At 5:19 PM, Blogger Ivy said…

    peepol always seem to discriminate against those they are jealous or afraid of. my gess is that the poem writer is just jealous becuz his dog is better at doing homework than he ever wuz.

     
  • At 8:53 PM, Blogger Sam I Am said…

    Lulu~
    Thank you that was wonderful...nice reads!!

    Lot's of Lick's
    Sam

     
  • At 11:03 PM, Blogger Chelsea said…

    Why do they blame us for everything!
    I swear they just get us so that they can point the finger when the room stinks!

     
  • At 1:16 AM, Blogger Fu Fu said…

    Haa Lulu,
    yeah you should so email the person.

    ~ fufu

     
  • At 2:18 AM, Blogger Charlie said…

    And besides that (burp), it wasn't very tasty...
    - C

     
  • At 3:29 AM, Blogger Ray & Jay Monkey said…

    Krazy Monkeys come with .......best left unsaid !!!

    Competition has hotted up guys !!! We even have a batman & superman dog !!!

     
  • At 10:12 PM, Blogger Floridacracker said…

    Clever Lulu...very clever!

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home